Thursday, August 7, 2008

Gramma Jaaannnnnnaaaaa!

So I just put my little friend Grace in a car to head back to her mommy and daddy. I didn't think it would be a big deal but I am not ashamed to say I cried a tear or two.

Because Brad was recovering from his appendectomy and Elise had plenty to do taking care of him and Claire, I volunteered to take Grace home with me this week. I knew that I could devote 100% of my time to her; I had nothing else going on. And I also knew that because she was moving to Texas, it might be a long time before I see her again.

The first words I heard every morning this week were, "Gramma Jaaannnaaa, wipe me." It's good to begin your day with a smile. We ate Frosted Mini Wheats every morning for breakfast. We watched Dora the Explorer way too many times. Then Backyardigans. Then Wonder Pets. We went to the water park every afternoon. We got a happy meal on the way home. We played with Polly Pocket. We ate cookies. We bought some school clothes.

I had forgotten how repetetive and monotonous young motherhood is.

But I had also forgotten how wonderful a small child can make you feel when, right before they fall asleep, they say, "You know what, I love you." Or when they pull your hand over to where they are and say, "I want you to be by me." Or when they are trying to tell you something that doesn't come out quite right and you both look at each other and start cracking up.

So, I enjoyed being a grandma this week. Now it's back to reading novels and watching Pride and Prejudice. Also boring, but what's a grandma to do?

4 comments:

Diana said...

What a special treat for Grace to be all alone with her grandma for a week! And I'm so glad Brad is well enough to travel home. I was so worried about him.

Elise said...

lol. I am so glad that you enjoyed her. She obviously had a total blast. And when she came home, she pulled Brad and I to her bed and wrapped her arms around both of us and told us over and over again how much she loved us and how much fun she had with you.

Thank you so much!

Lorraine and Kelly said...

This is so cute, I loved it. I know you guys had fun and I wish we could've been there all week! What a great experience she'll probably remember forever! BGE!

Janelle said...

Welcome to the blogging world Janna. it seems like you are enjoying it.

Janelle

JanelleandJeremy.blogspot.com