Friday, August 29, 2008

Politics in General

Wow, after reading Elise's blog and then reading the comments I have a sudden, almost irrational well-spring of political thoughts rushing up from my guts into my head and out of my fingers. My hear rate is at like 120.

Listen up people. Democratic Washington is your enemy. They are not here to help you. They are here to smile at you and flatter you and tell you exactly what you want to hear and to make promises to you that they will make things better, they will help you, they will be a force for change if you will only go with them.

Democrats are basically Satan.

Let's be clear. They are really only here to feed their enormous egos, surround themselves with their well-heeled, over-educated, pretentious little cliques and try to somehow fill in the hole they have in their hearts for some unnamed crime the people, the United States or the world has perpetrated on them.

Politicians are not normal. No normal person would run for public office because normal people are raising their families, working for real money, going to church and holding church callings that take up a lot of their time or volunteering. And normal people are doing these things without any desire for recognition or without any need of a following.

It's only the kooks who are waving and smiling and shaking hands and looking sincere and regurgitating really well written speeches from some of the best, most misguided writers of our day.

Do you think Obama writes his own stuff?

Do you think his wife writes her own stuff?

None of these people do and elections are like a big game to them, run by these advisors and managers, to see if their guy will win because if he does....it will mean millions for everyone involved. All they have to do is promise to help you.

Why are Democrats willing to give so much help? Why are Democratic voters in need of so much help? Who is paying for all this help? I don't need any help. What I really need is for my elected officials to quit promising to help people and then doing it, and lining their own pockets at the same time, with my tax dollars.

We are idiots for thinking that any of this is fair, above-board or even ethical. Or thinking that our vote matters in the least.

I know it doesn't matter in Utah. Thankfully I live in a Republican state, so my electoral votes go to McCain.

Who, by the way, isn't fancy or shiny and is a little old and something is wrong with his right arm, but he is a bona-fide war hero. Did you go to war? Did you fight for your country? Did you languish in a prisoner-of-war camp for 5 years and wonder if you would ever see the light of day again? Nope, you didn't Mr. Obama and neither did we, but if we had or if you had, you would deserve some degree of respect for putting your life on the line for us so we could go swimming and eat ice cream and read novels and watch our boys play baseball.

The day I heard Michelle Obama say that this was the first time in her adult life that she was proud to be an American, I was finished with her and with the whole black/victim/we-shall-overcome issue.


This is about my right to work, raise my family and keep the money I earn and the Republicans, although not without fault, are the group that most closely matches my own beliefs. Maybe they have read Atlas Shrugged or The Fountainhead.

Is McCain perfect? Is Bush perfect? Is the new VP Nominee Palin perfect? No. But they love their wives and husband, they love their children and all children, born and unborn, and they love their country.

Just like me.

6 comments:

rushtonfamily said...

Amen, Sister. I wonder if I'll ever know what it's like to live in a red state....

Diana said...

What is it they say? Never discuss politics or religion! Okay, but those are the only two things I know anything about!!! Loved your post and I agree with you 100%. I must say, though, I am really diggin' the VP choice for McCain. What a superstar woman/mother/governor!

Steve & Jenn Barlow said...

Wow Janna. I think you are being a little extreme with "democrats are basically satan." You don't really believe that, do you? I hope not. Look, you have some good points, but I must correct you. To say that it is the democrats who are these bad people is being naive and irresponsible. Janna, guess what? BOTH PARTIES ARE BAD!!!! Look at what has happened in the last 8 yrs. Who has been in charge? The republican. Are you better off than you were 8 yrs. ago? Is anyone? They are all liars and cheaters. All of them, not just the "evil" democrat. Obama is going to win this election. And you know what? Who cares. Nothing will change in any of our lives because the President is a democrat. Love you, sis.
Steve

Elise said...

Actually Brad here:

So I gotta say that I mostly agree with Steve in that both parties are bad. By "bad" I mean highly ill-qualified and self-serving. However there is no question that the core values of the republican party are far more aligned with mine than is the democratic party. And I do believe in that (the core values) is the rise and/or fall of this nation. Our country (undoubtedly the greatest on earth) was built on moral supremacy. After the revolution and founding of the US, huge leaps in prosperity including the expansion of the west took place. The fight for religious and personal freedom, no doubt a morally just cause was rewarded by the ruler of this universe.

The same thing happened during the Civil War: The abolition of slavery was shortly followed by the industrial revolution.

After WWII America saw the largest economic growth in it's history, and the most increase to personal convenience and luxury the world has ever seen.

Modern day scientists will say that there are no relationships between any of these things. But we are promised repeatedly then when we uphold righteousness we will be blessed with prosperity. It's true not just on a personal level but national and global as well.

I do not believe our country will be protected from terrorists if we have a universal health plan or if the upper middle and upper classes are taxed until their take home puts them in the lower class bracket. Our country will be protected and will flourish when we fight for righteousness.

I honestly don't care about the candidates themselves, they all have strengths and weaknesses. As does each party, but I have to align myself with the party that most agrees with me.

Elise said...

It's Brad again. I forgot to address the real reason I started to comment. I wanted to ask Steve how many people he actually knows who are not better off than they were eight years ago. Since I read that I've asked around and nobody say's they're not better off now. And if someone isn't better off maybe it's their fault and not Bush's. Everybody was lovin' life when consumer debt was at an all-time high. But now it seems that Dems are blaming republican policies for what was actually personal fiscal irresponsibility. Obama keeps saying we can't have 8 more years of this. Eight more years of what? What was so Horrible? Maybe I'm too young to remember. Please enlighten me.

Kelley said...

Brad, you are way insightful. Way ahead of your generation. I totally agree with everything you said. There are plenty of scumbag republicans. There is no perfect candidate. Even Reagan, my fav. or all time wasn't perfect. .. dang it! Democrats love their wives and children, too. Not all Dems believe in abortion. Brad, YOU should run for office! You're extremely astute.