Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A Senti"mental" Fool

Emphasis on the "mental."



I don't know why I have such a great memory for some things but can't remember other details at all.

For example, all I had to do was look at a picture of Nick and Casey Rushton the other day on their blog and a thousand memories and feelings flew through my head and heart and I was almost overcome with emotion. Sitting right here at my little desk, I practically started crying like a baby. I was wishing I could see those boys again. I remember talking to Nick about the future, he was always so interested in it, and watching Casey play baseball with Brad and basketball at Peninsula and nudging him awake at early morning Seminary.

Casey was a pretty good sport about that whole early morning thing. (He hated it!) I remember that my first week into teaching the Junior Class that year, I made a goal that I would teach an interesting and fun lesson every day and that I would know I was successful if I could make Casey smile at least one time every morning. I did a pretty good job. When I got in the car to drive the girls to school after teaching they would ask me how my class went and I would say, "I got Casey to smile today, so that's good." Thank you Casey for making my teaching job more fun and challenging.

One day I was substituting in Sunday School for the older kids and we were talking about marriage (Nick's favorite subject), and he asked me, "Is there one person who you are supposed to marry, one person in the whole world that you are promised to?" I answered, "Doctrinally, no, but after you have made your choice and marry the right person for you, I hope you go to bed every night and say, 'I picked the right person. I couldn't have married anyone else and been this happy.'" I think Nick says that every night.

I remember these random memories but can't remember to take the trash out on Tuesdays or to send my mom a birthday card or to pay a bill.

I think this is what happens to old ladies and the moral of the story is this: Life is really more about relationships, feelings and memories than jobs, tasks and lists. So, spend time on the important things like loving and helping people and try to get the other things done if you can fit them in.

5 comments:

Elise said...

Hmmm. That's a good thing for me to remember these days. Relationships, not tasks. Relationships, not tasks.

Thanks for the reminder.

rushtonfamily said...

Thanks for the love Janna. I totally remember that day in Sunday School and have thought about it a lot over the years. I also remember when I asked if our earthly families lived together in the pre-mortal as well. You said you have a theory on that subject, but I still haven't heard it! Remember? P.S. Kinda scary how well you know how I think...:)

Diana said...

So true that relationships are more important. At the end of our lives, what will we be sad to leave behind? Our families. Not our jobs or our cute outfits.

Rita said...

Janna,
Elke and Nick told me to read this entry in your blog. It is so sweet. I am the blessed Mother-in-law of Nick. I love him for all the love he shares with all of our family and the care and love he gives his own. I know he goes to bed each night knowing that he 'picked the right person' and 'couldn't have married anyone else and been this happy'. That is such a blessing for the mother of his wife.
Rita Jackson

sarah said...

okay Janna, reading your comments about seminary; all i have to say is your year of teaching us juniors WAS the most fun year and everytime I hear the start of the song..." a little bit of jessica in my life..." I immediatly think of you and all the great lessons you taught! thanks!! also, I'm sure Dan has told you but Audrey has a VERY soft spot for Dan and even tonight after he has been gone for five nights made sure in our prayers to say "and b(l)ess Dan" she adores him!! --Sarah